[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.11.1 rc1 released

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Mon Jun 10 09:01:44 UTC 2013

In short, RPM 4.11.1 release candidate 1 is out for testing:

http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.11.1

While we haven't typically bothered with alpha/beta/rc stages with
maintenance updates to stable branches, the number of changes here is
somewhat larger than usual for a maintenance update ...  so to play it
safe, starting with rc1. Unless something dramatic turns up, I'm
expecting to simply rename this to 4.11.1-final in a couple of weeks
time, but knock wood.

In addition to the usual assortment of more or less minor / corner-case
bug fixes, the big thing here is macro- and spec parsing performance.
You can (reasonably :) ask who cares about spec parsing speed, but with
monsters like Fedora's > 300k line texlive.spec on the loose... it was
always slow, but with rpm 4.11 it regressed beyond tolerable due to bad
interaction between string pools and braindead code. The numbers speak
for themselves, these are 'rpmspec --parse texlive.spec' timings from
unoptimized builds on my laptop:

rpm 4.10.3.1:   15.6s
rpm 4.11.0.1:   32.8s
rpm 4.11.1-rc1:  3.2s

This involved some fairly heavy surgery in librpmbuild and the macro
performance work from Alexey. I'm not aware of any regressions but...
hence the rc. The things to watch out would be oddities in macro
behavior and overall spec parse results, dependencies in particular.