[Rpm-maint] RPM <Obsoletes> tag not working

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Tue Oct 15 08:50:42 UTC 2013

On 10/14/2013 09:49 AM, prashant tyagi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have rpm documentation for renaming the package. I get to know about
> <Obsoletes> tag. I am able to build a new package successfully after
> adding this tag in spec file. For example:
>
> Suppose there is a package PkgA , I want to rename it to PkgB...
> For PkgB-
> Obsoletes: PkgA <= 2.00.000-1
>
> But When I install PkgB, it is not uninstalling PkgA. Instead PkgA and
> PkgB are installed side by side.

You have to "install" package B with "rpm -U pkgB". U for update.
Updaters like yum do the right thing. For historical reasons rpm -i does
not take obsoletes into account as it is supposed to leave other
packages alone.

Florian

PS: In general such questions are better suited for the rpm user list
rpm-list at lists.rpm.org as it has a wider audience which gives a better
chance for quick responses.