[Rpm-maint] RPM <Obsoletes> tag not working

prashant tyagi prashant.2006tyagi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 11:13:24 UTC 2013

Hi Panu,

Thanks for quick reply.
It worked with 'rpm -U'. I have got another problem in <Provides:> tag.

Hi All,

Here is the complete scenario:

I have two packages pkgA 10.10.100, pkgB 10.10.100 and I want to merge
these into pkgC 20.00.000.
The thing I want to achieve If I install pkgC, it should remove pkgA
and pkgB. and if I try to install pkgA or pkgB higher version, it
should tell me "already higher version is installed'.
what I did to achieve this-
I used <Obsoletes> and <Provides> tags in spec file for pkgC like this :

Obsoletes: pkgA <= 10.10.100-1, pkgB <= 10.10.100
Provides: pkgA <=20.00.000-1, pkgB <20.00.000-1

when I use- rpm -U pkgC, it remove pkgA and pkgB (<Obsoletes>
working), but I install pkgA higher version (10.20.200),it got
installed ( <Provides> not working ).
Is there any other way to achieve this?

Thanks,
Prashant