[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.12.0 rc1 released

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Sep 9 14:27:13 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 03:34 PM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 9 September 2014 12:07, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
>
>>> It looks like the following requires is no more emitted:
>>>     rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1
>>> Note that I care much but is that intended?
>>
>> Sigh, that'd be yet another regression from the dependency refactoring
>> between alpha and beta. Fixed by this:
>> http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=commitdiff;h=cac311c2ddb43b62ad9dbdb5543d50848eb9fd65
>>
>> ...and needs to go into 4.12.0 final.
>>
>> Thanks for spotting and reporting!
>
> Well just add one more test to the testsuite and it will never happen again ;-)

That's how new tests typically get added, eg

http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=commit;h=2d2b90b5babe17ea90556901d9d65b2166374df4
http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=commit;h=aca73ad405c03e2f4879781d2af85b7c3d2d736f

> Like calling sg like "rpm -qp --qf %{payloadcompressor} foobar.rpm"
> and checking its output the default payload compressor

That wouldn't help with this one.

> As well as tests for the previous regressions that weren't covered
> by the testsuite.
> My 2 cents :-)

Obviously. The thing is, testing the dependency generator and related
bits in a sufficiently generic manner (cannot assume arch, os, distro or
much anything) isn't entirely trivial.