[Rpm-maint] RFC: experiments with rich dependencies

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 12:47:10 UTC 2014

On 09/11/2014 02:18 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> [*] IF-dependencies have similar issues as reverse dependencies: one can
> break somebody elses dependencies by installing some seemingly unrelated
> package. Perhaps they should be limited to weak dependencies.

That's not exactly the same situation. Reverse Requires can make your
installation "broken" by adding a package to the repository.

While I agree tha most use case should and will probably use weak
dependencies I do not see anything intrinsicly wrong about forcing in an
intermediate package (or act as a conflict in case this package is not
available)

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael