[Rpm-maint] [rpm] Rename pythonXegg to pythonX.Ydist and read .dist-info (#33)

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 11:44:31 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 1:00 AM, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 21 November 2015 at 17:50, Neal Gompa (ニール・ゴンパ) <
> notifications at github.com> wrote:
>
>> Per the recommendation of Nick Coghlan and Toshio Kuratomi, pythonXegg(M)
>> is being renamed to pythonX.Ydist(M).
>>
> ​I disagree.
> This deps script is widely used​
>
> ​by one rpm.org user for years: Mageia Linux.
> We use the the "pythonegg(X)(M)" style.
> eg: "pythonegg(3)(pyicu)"
>
> I agree with integrating them upstream.
> But I disagree with breaking the _one_ rpm.org user.
> If the deps style changes from "pythonegg(X)(M)", this means wide breakage
> for Mageia Linux.
>
> So please don't!​

​Upstream Python wants people to forget about the fact eggs existed, and in
fact are working quite heavily to move away from .egg* data to a new data
format. I was presented with data that indicates that the new data format
introduced two years ago to replace .egg* data has already taken over
nearly the same number of modules that .egg* data did in the last 15 years
on PyPi, and .egg* data usage is dropping on PyPi.

Now that being said,​ Mageia's usage of pythonegg(X)(M) is known to me. I
was considering adding a "legacy" switch to add Provides in the form of
pythonegg(X)(M) for Mageia (see attached patch), but I'm not sure that's
really appropriate for upstream. I also wasn't sure how difficult a mass
change from pythonegg(X)(M) to pythonXdist(M) (as that's available as an
optional Provides) would be for Mageia, or even if Mageia would enable this
generator (it's not even going to be enabled by default in RPM 4.14 when it
ships next year, as far as I know).

Also, the pythonX.Ydist(M) Provides/Requires are not intended for people to
actually put in specs (unless they really care about matching to a specific
Python version in the case of packaging modules for a specific version of
Python), since these generated Provides/Requires are primarily used to
ensure the auto-generated dependencies are appropriately matched to their
Python major.minor to support a case where multiple versions of Python in
the same major version are present in the distribution or user's
installation and you want to have multiple packages of the same module for
each minor version of Python, as you can't install a Python module package
for say Python 3.3 and be able to access it on Python 3.4 if both Python
stacks are present on the system.