[Rpm-maint] Planning for rpm 4.13.0 (-rc2)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Oct 17 09:42:11 UTC 2016

On 10/17/2016 12:30 PM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 17 October 2016 at 10:10, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
>>> What is the chance to get [1, 2] into the release? I mildly remember,
>>> that once I was offered to get this patch into Fedora, but that never
>>> materialized and now it is almost a year. I don't think this is
>>> controversial change which should make anything break.
>>>
>>> Thx for considering.
>>>

>>> Vít
>>>

>>> [1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/27
>>> [2]
>>>
>>> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/commit/89d1dd0a7c63c7497d334e9f240ce7e36ca89434
>>

>> Hmm, that has actually been in Mageia for over a year so it's certainly
>> gotten its share of soak-time (so at least it's not breaking anything else)
>> and people are probably depending on it in Mageia so it'd be a reasonable
>> candidate.
>
> Actually, it's been here at least in Mageia from much more earlier:
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpm/current/SOURCES/rpm-4.6.1-setup-rubygems.patch?view=markup&pathrev=343
>
> I think the original patch went in in October 2010, previously we were
> using a separate %gem_unpack macro
>
> But it's not the same implementation as the one that has been merged
> in master. Mageia one is:
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpm/current/SOURCES/rpm-4.12.90-setup-rubygems.patch?revision=860276&view=markup

Oh, I wasn't aware there were two implementations, I just assumed its
the same implementation. Thanks for pointing this out, but it does mean
the upstream implementation is not real-world tested so its not 4.13.0
material. In this circumstance anyway. Such minor enhancements are
perfectly welcome in 4.13.1 though once we get there.

> But if it works the same, Mageia will be happy to drop one more patch :-)

Since you obviously have existing users for the feature, please test the
upstream patch with your packages and see what if anything is
missing/broken. Me, I've no clue about Ruby business :)