[Rpm-maint] [rpm-software-management/rpm] RFE: Offer LMDB as an alternative engine to BDB for rpmdb (#128)

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 00:51:16 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 01/15/2017 04:03 PM, Neal Gompa (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how true it is, but it seems to bear out with the number of
>> previously BDB users now being LMDB users.
>

> Unless a different DB offers substantial advantages over BDB to RPM, which
> does not endanger or destabilize rpm, I do not see any reason to switch
> different DB.

BDB 5 is unmaintained. There's no one upstream working on it, since
Oracle has moved onto BDB 6. No one wants to use BDB 6. RPM should not
depend on dead software. And there are significant performance
advantages to LMDB, according to various benchmarks[1]. And LMDB looks
like it could enable making the RPMDB to be more resilient[2].

[1]: https://symas.com/products/lightning-memory-mapped-database/project-benchmarks/
[2]: https://symas.com/products/lightning-memory-mapped-database/feature-comparison/