[Rpm-maint] RFC: SUSE/openSUSE's proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Nov 29 14:20:44 UTC 2017

[/me moves to center of thread, pulls out defibrillation machine, *zzzt* *zzzt*]

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017, at 04:59 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

> As we're pressed on time, openSUSE will be going right ahead and moving it's rpmdb to /usr/lib/sysimage/rpm as
> fast as possible

I assume this was done?

> Meanwhile I plan to take all of the points that have bubbled up as part of this conversation and present them
> to Debian/yum/dnf/PackageKit/Arch to try and get them onboard with the idea in the hope that we can start
> coalescing a cohesive solution around this idea

Before we move on to other packaging ecosystems, a useful next step to me seems to
be teaching various libs (librpm, libsolv, libdnf) to look in this location first.   Maybe
something like supporting %dbpath as a list in librpm?  Or maybe have it be
empty by default, and if it's unset that means "find automatically"?