[Rpm-maint] RFC: SUSE/openSUSE's proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Tue Oct 10 20:44:30 UTC 2017

> On 10. Oct 2017, at 22:32, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>
>> We're planning on making this change for all of our distributions via
>> all of their distribution methods, for consistencies sake.
>> Given how we build our containers, we'd actually have to do extra work
>> to exclude my patch and restore the old location once my submit-request
>> is accepted in OBS :)
>
> A single patch?  Can you link to it?  I looked through the thread some
> but couldn't find it.

In addition to this we know of at least one bit of libsolv that will need adjusting, but the correct way of adjusting it depends on the outcome of this discussion - because libsolv is already carrying some logic for /usr/share and ostree. If we use this opportunity to step closer together we might make that simpler at the same time :)

Meanwhile libsolv and our other tooling around rpm seem to be behaving fine in Test builds of our distros with the compat symlink in the patchset above.