[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.14.0 released!

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Thu Oct 12 09:22:52 UTC 2017

In short, RPM 4.14.0 is out now. It's not quite what we originally had
in mind - some things we planned for didn't make it, but perhaps more
importantly, it's actually a whole lot MORE than we ever could've
anticipated.

Some highlights:
- Major revamp of debuginfo packages
   - Debuginfo packages are parallel installable
   - Debuginfo can be split to subpackages and separate source package
   - Debugedit supports string/line table rewriting
- Major macro engine changes to sanitize and improve the "language"
   - Parametric macro arguments are expanded and quotable
   - Scoping is enforced for automatic macros
   - Buggy "block level" scoping is gone, only macros defined inside
     parametric macros are considered local
- Major rewrite of package/header reading and signature checking to
   utilize a single codepath
- Support for with/without/unless rich dependencies
- A configurable mode to conserve SSD disks
- Experimental LMDB database backend

...and I'm sure I missed several things worth being on that list,
because there's an absolutely *huge* amount of enhancements and fixes
all over the place, from over 20 contributors. For details and download
information, head over to

	http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.14.0

On behalf of rpm-team,