[Rpm-maint] RFC: SUSE/openSUSE's proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 09:52:27 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Richard Brown <rbrown at suse.de> wrote:

> What do you all think? And if a change like this is on the cards as an rpm default, where would the likely
> location be?

So, I think we should probably expose this as an configure switch, and
default to /var/lib/rpm. Most people have literally no reason to move
it. The switch would move the rpmdb to the alternate location of
/usr/lib/rpmdb (or whatever the agreed alternate path is).

This wouldn't really affect rpm-ostree, as they'd adjust the dbpath
the same way they've always done it. But for people changing the
system rpmdb location everywhere, the configure switch makes it clear
there's only two supported paths. It should be very clear that you're
on your own for anything else.