[Rpm-maint] RFC: SUSE/openSUSE's proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Oct 12 14:44:06 UTC 2017

On 10/12/17 4:52 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Richard Brown <rbrown at suse.de> wrote:
>>
>> What do you all think? And if a change like this is on the cards as an rpm default, where would the likely
>> location be?
>>

> So, I think we should probably expose this as an configure switch, and
> default to /var/lib/rpm. Most people have literally no reason to move
> it. The switch would move the rpmdb to the alternate location of
> /usr/lib/rpmdb (or whatever the agreed alternate path is).
>
> This wouldn't really affect rpm-ostree, as they'd adjust the dbpath
> the same way they've always done it. But for people changing the
> system rpmdb location everywhere, the configure switch makes it clear
> there's only two supported paths. It should be very clear that you're
> on your own for anything else.

I agree with this.  I see no compelling reason for my applications to move the
location of the database from one version to another.

Moving the DB will also complicated OS upgrades (package based) and other things.

I don't object to be it being configurable, but I'd like the option to remain at
the current location for as long as I and my customers need it there.

--Mark