[Rpm-maint] RFC: SUSE/openSUSE's proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm

Richard Brown rbrown at suse.de
Thu Oct 26 09:19:28 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 11:54 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 10/26/2017 11:35 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

> > > I'm OK with /usr/lib/sysimage.
> >
> > Would we want to store the rpmdb directly to /usr/lib/sysimage or have it in it's own subdir, eg
> > /usr/lib/sysimage/rpm
>
> It's clipped out in the above quote, but this is what I originally said:
>
> > I don't see /usr/lib as a *good* place for this, but if a new top
> > level directory in /usr seems too much then maybe > /usr/lib/sysimage
> > or such (and then rpm/rpmdb under that) would be a reasonable
> > compromise.
>

> > My feeling would be to prefer the latter
>
> Yes, because the whole point here is that the rpmdb is not the only data
> of this type. I keep repeating that but nobody seems to read what I say.

I most certainly am reading everything you say, and considering it, and pointing various other colleagues and
interested parties around SUSE to this thread and encouraging them to consider it also.

I'm just also struggling after being on travels for the last week and leaping right back onto this topic after
12+ flying is probably leading to my brain missing the occasional detail due to jetlag. I'm doing my best to
focus on the salient points regardless.

My apologies, and thank you for the clarification.

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Linux GmbH,  Maxfeldstr. 5,  D-90409 Nuernberg
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)