[Rpm-maint] Maximum RPM: availability of single-file version and / or up-to-date sources

Ignat Semyonov iksemyonov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 11:45:13 UTC 2018

Hello RPM team!

I'm currently learning RPM packaging for work. For that, I use the Maximum
RPM reference in its online HTML form as seen at [1]. While it is
comfortable enough to read in a browser, it's not easy to print since it
consists of a number of disconnected HTML pages (and I love reading hard
copies of books, when available). Now, to quote [2],

> Red Hat is offering Maximum RPM v.2 for free download at
http://www.rpm.org. What you'll find at www.rpm.org is the original copy of
Maximum RPM in postscript format.

This appears to be incorrect, since I haven't been able to find the said PS
in the ftp tree. Neither have I been able to locate a print version (i.e.
an e-book version of the hard copy that you can buy used at Amazon).

Thus, I have the following questions:

* Whether there is a single-file version of Maximum RPM available, matching
the one at [1]
* Whether the print version is freely available for download (and can be
downloaded), as described by RedHat

I'm also interested in a more in-depth reference to the modern macros and
packaging process as used in the modern versions of Fedora and CentOS /
RHEL. Is [4] enough?

P.S. Please note that as a result of a discussion we had in IRC, a version
of the Maximum RPM source repo is now located at [3]. The last commit
however is dated Dec 15, 2006, while the ftp directory was last modified on
Feb 13, 2017, which makes me believe that the sources at [3] don't reflect
the actual state of things.

[1] http://ftp.rpm.org/max-rpm/
[2] https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/press-publishing
[3] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/maximum-rpm