[Rpm-maint] Maximum RPM: availability of single-file version and / or up-to-date sources

Jeff Johnson n3npq at me.com
Mon Jul 23 20:23:12 UTC 2018

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 22, 2018, at 7:45 AM, Ignat Semyonov <iksemyonov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello RPM team!
>
> I'm currently learning RPM packaging for work. For that, I use the Maximum RPM reference in its online HTML form as seen at [1]. While it is comfortable enough to read in a browser, it's not easy to print since it consists of a number of disconnected HTML pages (and I love reading hard copies of books, when available). Now, to quote [2],
>
> > Red Hat is offering Maximum RPM v.2 for free download at http://www.rpm.org. What you'll find at www.rpm.org is the original copy of Maximum RPM in postscript format.
>
> This appears to be incorrect, since I haven't been able to find the said PS in the ftp tree. Neither have I been able to locate a print version (i.e. an e-book version of the hard copy that you can buy used at Amazon).
>
> Thus, I have the following questions:
>
> * Whether there is a single-file version of Maximum RPM available, matching the one at [1]
> * Whether the print version is freely available for download (and can be downloaded), as described by RedHat
>
> I'm also interested in a more in-depth reference to the modern macros and packaging process as used in the modern versions of Fedora and CentOS / RHEL. Is [4] enough?
>
> P.S. Please note that as a result of a discussion we had in IRC, a version of the Maximum RPM source repo is now located at [3]. The last commit however is dated Dec 15, 2006, while the ftp directory was last modified on Feb 13, 2017, which makes me believe that the sources at [3] don't reflect the actual state of things.
>
> [1] http://ftp.rpm.org/max-rpm/
> [2] https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/press-publishing
> [3] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/maximum-rpm
> [4] https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/index.html

FWIW (I just checked) there is a ready to print PDF of "Maximum RPM" at lulu.com.

For ~$30, lulu can/will print and bind into a paperback book and ship directly to your house. I have a copy -- the only printed copy in the world -- of MaxRPMv2.

Sadly, Red Hat (and other copyright holders) have never given permission to publicize "Maximum RPM" thru lulu.com and so the PDF sits unused.

The book has been at lulu.com (Bob Young started both Red Hat and Lulu) since June 2005 iirc: I used the doc book markup of MaxRPM to get up to speed on modern typesetting while contracting to set up an XSL-FO typesetter.

Isn't it ironic?

73 de Jeff