[Rpm-maint] RFC: RPMTAG_IDENTITY (whitelist filter)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 09:23:30 UTC 2018

On 8/23/18 12:01 AM, Vladimir D. Seleznev wrote:
> You convinced me that there should be whitelist filter, so I rewrote
> code for it. Follow Panu suggestion [1] I wrote .C generator to filter
> proper rpm tags.

Sorry for the terribly late response, I keep intending and intending and
somehow almost a month passed :(

Also shows that its a while since the initial discussion: I don't recall
suggesting that :D but nevermind.

Another possibility that wouldn't need a separate generator script would
be just including that info in the tag table itself, similarly to how
"extension" is there, although I think there's no API to access it ATM
(another idea that was never finished). Might as well make it a flags
bitfield where we can cram such stuff and rpmTagGetFlags() or so to
fetch the data...

> But currently it does not allow this suggestion [2] by
> jbj@:
>
> "The members (and ordering) of the IDENTITY tag set might also
> need to be configurable without recompiling."
>
> Currently I have no idea what is better way to do that. May be one of
> solution can be to define some macro that contains tag that should be in
> calculation, but this doest seem to be convenient and practical.
>
> Also its value may be needs a prefix for versioning tag value. When new
> tags are marked to be involve to calculating the prefix changes. I think
> the prefix should also include a vendor identifier e.g. fc, alt, mga,
> suse etc.

I dunno why it should be vendor specific, we rather try to avoid such
things in the first place.

> While here is marker for tags that values should be involve to identity
> calculation, I think here should be special case for some of string
> array tags: a marker for processing array before calculation. For
> example, we want to filter some of value from package provides but we
> don't want to exclude the whole array from identity calculation. I think
> it could be done with one more marker with argument of array processing
> function that return (char *) — the result of string processing. There
> is difficulty that RPMTAG_PROVIDE* is three separate tags and I have no
> idea how to take it in consideration.

Why do you want to filter provides?

	- Panu -